Monday 9 January 2012

Back to work....time to reflect

I've just come out of the gym. My first morning's work after an extended christmas break. I had 2 groups of clients this morning, all eager to continue with their fitness. I work in a community centre in Low Hill, Wolverhampton, England. The classes I teach are Easyline Technogym.
My youngest client is 16, my oldest is in her 80's. If I'm honest, it's the best job I've ever had, so rewarding to see people lose weight, get fitter and acheive things they didn't think they could do.
Looking at some of them makes me think back to how I used to be before I gave myself a complete lifestyle overhaul. Ok, I had a few serious problems in my personal life to overcome (who hasn't had?) and this partly triggered my change.
Nowadays I love working in the studio, both as a client and as an instructor. But, it took months for me to pluck up the courage to go to my first exercise class. I worked out with dvds at home. I'll never forget what Billy Blanks' Tae-Bo did for me - gave me the confidence to carry on and the will to attend classes and take it a step further.
I took up Belly dancing and burlesque alongside my aerobics classes, I later got into shape ready to do my level 2 instructor qualification by doing 10 different classes a week - including easyline technogym, zumba, boxercise in addition to this.
In the old days, I hated exercise - now I love it! and I love my work.
Easyline technogym is a range of resistance equipment that is far more user friendly than conventional gym equipment. No weight stacks or cables to fuss with, it's perfect for people who want to get started or restarted in fitness, older people or those with weight and health issues that want to get started on the road to better health.
But, that's not to say younger, fitter people can't get a good workout. As it works on the principle of circuit training, there is scope for a great cardio vascular workout.
As it is a community based project, it is far more accessible to certain target groups who may not want to attend traditional gyms. As the groups form, people have the opportunity to make new friends and benefit from the social aspect. This, coupled with the physical co-ordination and development of motor skills make it a workout which benefits the mind as well as the body.

People working out on a monday morning in my class
at Low Hill Community Centre

This morning I've added 2 exercise balls into the mix, something that a couple of ladies didn't think they were capable of, and with a little assistance, they have achieved. I'm really happy about this. It just shows how much people can do when they don't think about their limitations.
I'm already looking forward to tomorrow's sessions........
See you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment